Hauptmenü

Help: NUC5CPYH

Begonnen von zgadgeter, 28 Januar 2017, 12:48:59

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

zgadgeter

Hello,
i've been using my raspberry with Fhem for some time successfully.
I've now purchased a NUC5CPYH and am beginning to configure it, but have a number of questions:
which Linux? I've installed ubuntu-16.04.1-server-amd64, but am not sure that is best/correct?
And, now that i've installed it (FHEM is running fine too), i cannot find a way to activate the WLAN?

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated...thanks.
NUC FHEM mit vielen Intertechno/FS20/Flamingo schalter
und Busware CUL und nanoCUL

bugster_de

maybe this question isn't really related to FHEM, but anyhow good questions. And question in return: why did you move away from the RPi? If it is for FHEM only, this is to me the by far best HW choice, as it has enough CPU punch for the task (at least RPi2&3) and very low energy consumption.

Which Linux to use? This question seems to be as old as Linux itself and largely depends on how experienced you are with Linux and how much stability you want
Debian: focus on stability, but many SW packages in older versions
Ubuntu: based on Debian but has newer SW packages
Linux Mint: based on Ubuntu with always the newest SW (hence probe to be less stable)
Slackware etc.: to experienced Linux users who focus on small kernel footprint.

I would think Ubuntu Server 16.04 (LTS) is by far the best choice. It has long term supprt, a huge selection of SW and by far the biggest community out there for help.

Which leads to the second point WLAN: with 16.04, the way (W)LAN works has slightly changed. So the typical way of modifying /etc/network/interfaces isn't the recommended one. Best starting point might be to search the web for Raspian WLAN and pick very new search results.
Side note: the WLAN driver is working?

zgadgeter

Hello, and thanks for the pointers...
Why change from raspi: not sure really, but likely just sounded interesting to get a stronger machine, and i found a good used deal.
But i've not done too much with it, other than installing 16.04 and some of my hmlan devices.  I've just not had enough time yet to migrate everything across. i'm still using the raspi at the moment.
I found a link online, but have not not tried it yet...http://askubuntu.com/questions/657774/how-to-get-my-intel-wireless-3165-to-connect-on-15-04
Not exactly the same version, but maybe it will work...
NUC FHEM mit vielen Intertechno/FS20/Flamingo schalter
und Busware CUL und nanoCUL

bugster_de

I don't have a NUC so can be of too much help here.

But if your issue is the same than the one in the linked forum, you need to get this firmware file from somewhere. My first starting place would be Intel website itself, as they claim full Linux support for the NUCs.
Otherwise try to upgrade the kernel etc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Independent of this: if the RPi is only there to run the homeautomation, my recomendation is to stay with it and have the NUC converted to some sort of media player machine (e.g. Kodi) connected to your TV.