Presence doesn't detect samsung smartphone

Begonnen von HarryT, 21 Februar 2018, 21:00:04

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

HarryT

Hi

I use FHEM 5.8 on a Raspberry. My own samsung galaxy s7 is detect with the presence module, lan-ping. The galaxy-s6 smartphone of my wife not.  It doesn work on my productieon system nor on my test system. I have removed the connection from the Fritzbox and connected again. No result. I have checked the IP address.

Any ideas what I could do or test to get it working?

{HT}

Ok, it seems the phone isn´t answering a ping.  Anybody an idea why not?
FHEM 6.3 auf Raspberry Pi3  (1,2 Ghz)
RFXTRX433XL, ZWave, KFL200 and ConBeeIII
Raspberry Pi1 (0,7 Ghz) and Raspberry Pi4 for testing
German reading skills are good.

jensb

Hi HT,

some phones have a firewall that prevents echo replies. Another reason depends on your settings: the WiFi may go into sleep mode, but then you should be able to ping if the phone is on and connected to WiFi.

Have a look at that post. If the firewall is the reason you can pack nmap into a script and use "shellscript" mode instead of "lan-ping" with PRESENCE.

Greetings,
JB
FHEM 6.1 - RPi 4 Raspbian 12 + PiTFT - OPi Zero Armbian 5.35
EnOcean - (W)LAN/Firmata: BMP180, TSL2561, SHT21, Heatronic 3, OBIS - WLAN/ESP8266: Gardena 1251, Zirkulationspumpe - RTL433: Oregon - Bluetooth - MQTT
Contributions: https://svn.fhem.de/trac/browser/trunk/fhem/contrib/jensb

HarryT

Hi JB

Thanks for you quick answer. Indeed with nmaps the phone is seen. So it will be a firewall problem.

I know it is not a fhem problem anymore, but I can't find a firewall on the phone nor is Knox installed. Any guess where I can find which firewall is installed and how I can turn it off? The phone has also huge delays with receiving mails and messages, so I guess this is the way to solve both issues.  Thanks for any help.

{HT}
FHEM 6.3 auf Raspberry Pi3  (1,2 Ghz)
RFXTRX433XL, ZWave, KFL200 and ConBeeIII
Raspberry Pi1 (0,7 Ghz) and Raspberry Pi4 for testing
German reading skills are good.

jensb

Hi HT,

as far as I know an Android smartphone does not have a firewall frontend comparable to a Windows machine. I would expect the firewalls to be setup by the OS and if you want to change the firewall rules you will probably need to root the device first. A solid understanding of Linux/Android command line and firewall techniques is also required. To block or allow a ping to be received and answered you use:

iptables -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j REJECT/DROP/ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p icmp --icmp-type echo-reply -j REJECT/ACCEPT

Depending on the firewall strategy of the OS you will either have to remove an existing reject/drop rule or add an accept rule. But that is all just theory. If your are lucky there is some app out there that can enable pinging without rooting. Personally I would not compromise the security settings of my phone in any way and I prefer not to be pingable in a public network (and it will be hard to have it both ways).

On the other hand a firewall does not typically make a smartphone slow. If the phone was already running for some time try a cache wipe first. Uninstalling/disabling unused apps also helps a bit. If you can backup all essential data and are willing to do a step by step reinstall/reconfigure - a factory reset will show you what is possible in respect to performace.

Greetings,
JB
FHEM 6.1 - RPi 4 Raspbian 12 + PiTFT - OPi Zero Armbian 5.35
EnOcean - (W)LAN/Firmata: BMP180, TSL2561, SHT21, Heatronic 3, OBIS - WLAN/ESP8266: Gardena 1251, Zirkulationspumpe - RTL433: Oregon - Bluetooth - MQTT
Contributions: https://svn.fhem.de/trac/browser/trunk/fhem/contrib/jensb